Saturday, May 1, 2010

Friday - Baths and Healing Mass

Friday we woke up after a great and much needed night's sleep. After breakfast we got ready to go to the baths! It was a rainy day so we had to bundle up and go out in the wet. When we got down there it was very quiet because they ask you to keep quiet while others are praying. I walked in to the baths and went to the front of the line with Miss Murphy and her mom because malades are allowed to go to the front of the line. I waited with them until they went in and then I waited back outside in the rain for them. When Miss Murphy came out I could tell that something great happened. She had a distant and amazed but incredibly peaceful look on her face. First of all, anyone that goes in the bath will tell you that it is verrrrry cold! She said that when she went it is was a little chilly, but then the ladies working in baths starting praying with her to Mary and she felt an incredible warmness throughout her body. In fact, we spoke later to a girl that was working in the baths and helping Miss Murphy. Before Miss Murphy could even tell her about feeling warm, the girl said she felt body getting hot in the bath. Words cannot even describe how amazing this is! I know that it was the spirit of Mary filling Miss Murphy's body and spirit. This is only one of the many miracles happening here in Lourdes.


After lunch we had a team orientation. A member of our team gave eveyone a history of the Order of Malta, Lourdes, and our involvement in bringing malades here. We also took some team pictures.

In the afternoon we had the Healing Mass, my favorite mass of the week. I was asked to hold the Bishop's crozier (his staff) during Mass. One of our malades, Michelle, held the mitre (his hat). So we both got to sit on the altar for the entire Mass, it was awesome!!! During the anointing of the sick, the fragrance of roses filled the church. It was such a beautiful experience. After receiving communion I felt such an intense feeling. I was sitting at my seat with my head down and eyes closed. I had just received Jesus into my body and soul. I could still smell the beautiful fragrance of roses in the church. Music was playing and people were singing. I felt the immense love from everyone in the congregation. I imagined that this is what heaven would feel like. It wouldn't be cloud pillows and candy, but instead the feeling of love like your heart is going to burst. It's probably the closest feeling to God's love that I've ever felt.

Before dinner, we Skyped with our 2nd graders about our trip. We invited some of the children malades to get on and talk with the students. They talked about who they were, what we were doing in Lourdes, and what they liked about the trip. We even had a special pilgrim come on to talk to the classes - Vince Dooley! He promised to come in and visit the 2nd graders at NDA very soon!

After dinner, we had a candle lit procession. We gathered at dusk with over 500 other people from other countries near the church. We all lit candles and they said the rosary over the loud speaker. The prayers were said in all different languages - English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, and more! My class has been practicing the Hail Mary in French so I video taped one of the Hail Marys so we could see how well we are doing! It was so beautiful especially when everyone lifted up their candles high during the Ave Maria. It was such a wonderful end to a spiritually moving day!



No comments:

Post a Comment